A "Shelter in Place" order given by either local or State government means that citizens within the affected area should take the following protective measures.
- Go indoors, close all windows and doors.
- Turn off all sources of outside air
- Air conditioners
- Ventilation fans/ducts.
- Remain indoors until notified that it is safe to move outdoors.
- Stay tuned to your local radio/television station to receive official notices.
- Limit telephone usage for emergency calls only. This is to prevent the telephone lines from being overloaded with non-emergency calls.
If you MUST be OUTDOORS
Protect your breathing by covering your mouth and nose with a cloth or handkerchief.
An order to evacuate given by local or State government means that citizens within the evacuation area should take the following protective measures.
- Pack only what you need most
- Prescription medication
- Baby supplies
- Portable radio
- Checkbook and credit cards
- Lock your house, turn off all lights and household appliances.
- Monitor local radio and television for instructions to the evacuation center.
- Follow all instructions given by local and State authorities.
An evacuation may last only a few hours, or many days. Be sure to bring the necessities for at least 72 hours.