Hazard Mitigation Grants

Click here to edit content
Hazard mitigation is any sustained actions taken to reduce or eliminate long-term risk to people and property from natural hazards and their effects. Hazard mitigation is the only phase of emergency management specifically dedicated to breaking the cycle of damage, reconstruction, and repeated damage. As such, FEMA encourages States, Territories, Indian Tribes and communities to take advantage of funding provided by the Hazard Mitigation Assistance (HMA) Programs in both pre- and post-disaster timeframes.


Together, these programs provide significant opportunities to reduce or eliminate potential losses to State, Tribal, and local assets through hazard mitigation planning and project grant funding. Each HMA program was authorities by separate legislative action, and such, each program differs slightly in scope and intent.
The HMA programs include:
Eligible Applicants

There are two categories of eligible applicants:


The eligible applicants under the (HMA) Programs are State and Local Governments, Certain Private Non-Profits and Native America Tribes. Individuals and businesses are not eligible applicants to apply for HMA funds; however, an eligible applicant may apply for funding to mitigate a private structure. The chart below provides a list of eligible applicants for each type of grant:

Eligible Activities within HMA Programs

The eligible activities for funding under the Hazard Mitigation Assistance (HMA) Programs fall into the following categories:

For Information on Hazard Mitigation Project Funding in your area contact the local OEP office (Office of Emergency Preparedness) in the Parish in which you live.
For more information on hazard mitigation grant programs, click and download the Funding Hazard Mitigation Workbook, the Funding Hazard Mitigation Non-Disaster and Disaster Resource Reference and the Instruction Guide.

Hazard Mitigation Grant Program
GOHSEP Hazard Mitigation Grant Program Contact Information:

For more information on the Hazard Mitigation Grant Programs go to:

For more information on Guidance, Forms, Reference Materials, and Briefings go to: Mitigation Index


There are two ways funds are provided for mitigating private structures: Applications through eligible applicants and ROAD HOME participants.

Applications Through Eligible Applicants
Although individuals and business are not eligible applicants to apply for HMA funds, an eligible applicant (State or Local Government, Certain Nonprofits and Native American Tribes) may apply for funding to mitigate a private structure. If you have a private structure and want to see if funding is available, contact your local OEP office (Office of Emergency Preparedness).

Road Home Participants

Office Of Community Development 
Disaster Recovery Unit Hazard Mitigation Grant Program
The OCD-DRU HMGP can reimburse up to $100,000 (based on actual construction costs) to eligible Road Home Option 1 homeowners for expenses incurred in elevating or reconstructing their homes to meet the FEMA required elevation height for their area. The OCD-DRU HMGP is a reimbursement program. Homeowner eligibility and eligible expenses are determined by FEMA based on HMGP regulations. These funds are not subject to the Road Home $150,000 maximum cap.
A homeowner must meet the following criteria to be considered for the OCD-DRU HMGP award:
  • Homeowner is an eligible participant in the Road Home program. (NOTE: Even if a homeowner received a zero award letter from Road Home, that homeowner may still be eligible for money through the OCD-DRU HMGP.)
  • Homeowner selected Road Home Option 1 – Keep your home
  • Homeowner still owns the home that was eligible for Road Home benefits
  • The structure is located in a FEMA-designated ABFE or the mitigation activity is deemed cost beneficial according to FEMA guidelines
  • Homeowner agrees to comply with all HMGP regulations

For Information on the Office of Community Development Disaster Recovery Hazard Mitigation Grant Program call 1-877-744-7235 or email hazardmitigation@la.gov or visit the following web site: http://doa.louisiana.gov/cdbg/dr/hmgp/hmgp.htm

Click here to edit content